Crossford

View archive gallery
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr

Local Sponsors

More information

Many thanks to  George and David for facilitating this camera's location and to United Clyde Angling Protective Association Ltd for their help in arranging its installation. The bridge here dates from 1793 and prior to that time there was a ford and a ferry. The Clyde is formed by the confluence of two streams, the Daer Water and the Potrail Water. The Southern Upland Way crosses both streams before they meet at Watermeetings to form the River Clyde proper. At this point the Clyde is only 6 miles from Tweed's Well, the source of the River Tweed, 8 miles from the Devil's Beef Tub, the source of the River Annan. From there it snakes northeastward before turning to the west, its flood plain used for many major roads in the area, until it reaches the town of Lanark. On the banks of the Clyde, the industrialists David Dale and Robert Owen, built their mills and the model settlement of New Lanark. The mills harness the power of the Falls of Clyde, the most spectacular of which is Cora Linn. A hydroelectric power station still generates electricity here, although the mills are now a museum and World Heritage Site.