Seagry

View archive gallery
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr

Local Sponsors

More information

Seagry is a civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 4.5 miles southeast of Malmesbury and 5.5 miles northeast of Chippenham. Its main settlements are the village of Upper Seagry, which was first mentioned in official records under the name Over Seagry (in 1317), and the hamlet of Lower Seagry, which was first documented (1218) as Nether Seagry. The toponym is thought to derive from the Old English for "sedge stream". Sedge is the common name for plants of the family Cyperaceae and stream here may refer to the River Avon, which flows through the area. There is evidence that the area was settled in the Upper Paleolithic period, and also of Saxon occupation. The Domesday Book of 1086 records 21 households and two manors: Segrete held by Durand of Gloucester, and Segrie by Drogo Fitz Ponz. Segrete became part of the estates of the Earl of Hereford, and later passed into the ownership of Bradenstoke Abbey until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. A grange farm at Lower Seagry was associated with the Abbey. This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here. All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0