Many thanks to the folks at the The Riverside Cafe
for facilitating this camera's location and to Worcestershire County Council
for capitally funding its installation. In order to address the issue of recurrent flooding in the area, a strategically positioned Farson streaming webcam is employed to provide real-time monitoring of water levels and road conditions.Tenbury Wells is situated on the south bank of the River Teme, which serves as the boundary between Shropshire and Worcestershire. The neighboring settlement of Burford in Shropshire is located on the river's north bank. From 1894 to 1974, Tenbury Wells constituted a rural district, encompassing itself and surrounding villages such as Stoke Bliss, Eastham, and Rochford. Subsequently, Tenbury Wells became part of the Leominster District until April 1998, when it joined the Malvern Hills District following the integration of the Leominster District Council into the Herefordshire Council.The history of Tenbury Wells traces back to the Iron Age. While the town was once associated with Castle Tump, boundary changes have resulted in the Tump now being situated in Burford, Shropshire. The Tump, believed to be the remnants of an early Norman motte and bailey castle, can be observed from the main road (A456), although no visible remains of the castle itself exist. Its construction aimed to safeguard and control the original crossing of the River Teme. It has also been referred to as the remnants of an 11th-century Norman Castle.Originally referred to as "Temettebury," the town was granted a Royal Charter in 1249 to establish a market. Over time, the name evolved to "Tenbury." A legal record from 1399 mentions a place spelled as "Temedebury," possibly representing a further variation in spelling. Tenbury was part of the upper division of Doddingtree Hundred. The addition of "Wells" to the name occurred after the discovery of mineral springs and wells in the town during the 1840s.The arrival of railways in Tenbury Wells was a cause for celebration, marked by elaborate festivities, including a breakfast, carnival, and ball when the town was connected to the Kidderminster line in 1864. The railway station, formerly part of the Tenbury and Bewdley Railway but no longer operational, underwent a name change to Tenbury Wells in 1912 as an effort to promote the mineral water sourced from the town's wells. The St. Michael and All Angels Choir School, dedicated to the Anglican choral tradition, was established by Frederick Ouseley but closed its doors in 1985. The school buildings later served different educational purposes.For more than a century, Tenbury Wells has gained widespread recognition throughout the country for its winter auctions of holly, mistletoe, and other Christmas-related products. The town is also renowned for its "Chinese-gothic" Pump Room buildings, constructed in 1862, which underwent significant restoration and reopened in 2001. These buildings are presently under the ownership of Tenbury Town Council, having been transferred from the Malvern Hills District Council in September 2008.