Bodmin - St Petrocs Well

View archive gallery
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr

Local Sponsors

More information

Bodmin’s St Petrocs Well is possibly medieval origin; probably built from material from Bodmin Priory, dissolved in 1539. Granite. Built into bank with square opening with moulded granite jambs and slightly cambered moulded granite lintel. Stone rubble interior walls with tablet set into rear wall. It sits below Priory Road beyond the football pitch, where only dog walkers and teenagers wander. There is very good evidence that the two pre-eminent wells of Bodmin have swapped names, this originally being called St. Guron’s rather than St. Petroc’s well.  This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here  All  content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0.This Holy Well has truly worked a notable miracle, and demonstrated an old allegiance. A wooden statue of St. Mary was actually concealed inside the well to protect it from Cromwell’s troops. Incredibly it was only found at the very beginning of the twentieth century. After minor repairs and redecoration at Buckfast Abbey, it was returned to Bodmin and now stands proud in the church at St. Mary’s. In 2001 Environment Agency built a massive flood alleviation system rerouting the waters of the river that flows under Bodmin.