Many thanks to Avon Mill Garden Centre for facilitating this camera's location and to the Westcountry Rivers Trust for capitally funding its installation.
The River Avon, also referred to as the River Aune, is a river located in Devon County. Its source can be found in the southern region of Dartmoor National Park, specifically in a boggy area west of Ryder's Hill. As the river departs Dartmoor, a dam was constructed in 1957 to create the Avon reservoir. It then passes through South Brent, Avonwick, and Aveton Gifford before ultimately flowing into the sea at Bigbury on Sea.Loddiswell, situated in the South Hams district of Devon, is a parish and village positioned on the western side of the River Avon or Aune, approximately three miles north-northwest of Kingsbridge. Historical evidence indicates human occupation in this area dating back to Roman times. Loddiswell's notable figure and benefactor was Richard Peek, who retired to the village after serving as one of the Sheriffs of London. The name "Loddiswell" is believed to be a variation of "Saint Loda's well," named after one of the numerous saints associated with the West Country, particularly Cornwall. In the northern part of this parish, there is evidence of Roman utilization of Blackdown Hill. Blackdown Rings, a ring-and-bailey hill fort present on the hill, is possibly the remains of a 12th-century wooden fortress, although no other documentation exists. The hill offers an advantageous view of the surrounding area. The Domesday Book of 1086 mentions Loddiswell, valuing the manor at 100 shillings. During that time, the manor was owned by Juhel of Totnes, but prior to the Norman Conquest, it belonged to an Anglo-Saxon named Heca. The Domesday record also noted the existence of a fishery that contributed 30 salmon as a form of payment.St. Michael's and All Angels, the parish church, dates back to the 14th century and underwent enlargement in the 15th century. Its Norman font adds to its historical significance. The village thrived in medieval times due to its involvement in the wool industry. Woolston House, the manor house of Staunton Manor, is a 17th-century structure constructed upon the foundations of an earlier building. It was reconstructed in the 18th century and changed hands from the Wise/Wyse family to the Weymouth and Allin families.In 1825, a copper mine was established within the parish. In 1848, Richard Peek funded the construction of a chapel for the congregationists. This local philanthropist, who was born in Loddiswell and built Hazlewood House in 1830, also supported a local school (The British School), a reading and news room (1838), as well as various nearby chapels.By 1850, the village had a population of 1,013, and the ancient St. Michael's Church stood prominently. The collection and resale of yellow ochre, along with employment at the mine and mill, supplemented the local economy.The Kingsbridge branch line of the Great Western Railway reached Loddiswell in 1893, with a station stop established there. Interestingly, the station was closer to the lesser-known and smaller village of Woodleigh, leading to the perception that Loddiswell was a "brisk walk away." The railway station remained operational through the steam age, but by 1961, it became an unmanned halt, and in 1963, it closed permanently. Presently, the remnants of the railway track serve as a walking route.Near Loddiswell lies Fosse Copse, a 1.88-hectare (4.65-acre) woodland situated on the west-facing slope of the Avon Valley. It is owned and managed by the Woodland Trust.