Many thanks to English Heritage and the team at Brougham Castle
for facilitating this camera's location.The River Eamont, located in Cumbria, derives its name from Old English (ēa-gemōt), which signifies the convergence of streams, and this name originated as a back formation from Eamont Bridge. The river originates from the outflow of Ullswater in the Lake District, and its flow is supplemented by Dacre Beck from the west and the River Lowther, which carries water from Haweswater northward to the Eamont at Penrith. It eventually joins the Eden River approximately 4 miles (7 km) east of Penrith.Throughout its history, the river has experienced several instances of flooding, notably during the impact of Storm Desmond in December 2015. This particular flooding event resulted in the destruction of the 300-year-old Pooley Bridge, necessitating the installation of a temporary bridge to reconnect the divided village. Additionally, the grade I listed Eamont Bridge suffered damage during the same storm, but it was reopened in March 2016 after undergoing masonry repairs. In April 2019, preparations commenced for the replacement of the temporary bridge with a new one. Consequently, the crossing was closed from September 2019 until Easter 2020 to facilitate the installation of the new bridge.To address the concerns regarding flooding and road conditions, a strategically positioned Farson streaming webcam is employed to monitor water levels and road conditions in real-time within the area.The oldest sections of Brough Castle, dating back to around 1100, reflect a period when the region, now known as Northwest England, had recently been annexed by William Rufus from the Scottish Kingdom. In 1203, King John bestowed Brough, along with Appleby and the Lordship of Westmorland, upon Robert de Vieupoint, who was responsible for constructing Brougham Castle. Neglect plagued the castle by 1254. However, similar to Brougham Castle, Brough came under the control of the Cliffords in 1268. Robert Clifford, the influential figure behind the castle, undertook renovations and erected a new hall. He also constructed a semicircular tower, now referred to as Clifford's Tower, to serve as his residence. Whenever members of the Clifford family visited Westmorland, they would typically stay at Brough Castle. In 1521, a fire ravaged much of the castle, leading to its abandonment until Lady Anne Clifford inherited it in 1643. Under her stewardship, restoration work was undertaken on all the castles within her inheritance.