Fladbury - Mill Bank Road - WC2

View archive gallery
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr
Square tr

Local Sponsors

More information

Many thanks to the folks at  Severn Trent Water for facilitating this camera's location at Fladbury Sewage Pumping Station and to Worcestershire County Council  for capitally funding its installation.  The Mill Bank Road often floods when the River Avon is in full spate. Please click here for flooding information regarding this location. Fladbury was mentioned in the Domesday Book, almost 1,000 years ago. It is sited on the banks of the River Avon, with many interesting and original buildings and features. Cropthorne village is on the opposite bank of the Avon. The two ancient communities are linked by the Jubilee Bridge, which can be seen in the distance of the camera’s shot. The church of St John the Baptist in Fladbury is located in the village centre. It has been a site of Christian worship since monks settled here in 691AD when Ethelred, King of Mercia, made a grant of land to Oftfor the then Bishop of Worcester. The monks later moved on to found the monastery that became Evesham Abbey. No trace of the early Saxon building remains, and the present building dates from the 12th century, with only the base of the tower dating back to Norman times. The church was rebuilt in 1340 with significant restorations taking place during Victorian times. The tower has a ring of eight bells which were rehung on a new frame in 1991.The famous statesman, Sir John Throckmorton of Throckmorton Manor, Knt., (d. 12 April 1445) was interred in a large altar tomb in Fladbury Church