Many thanks to the folks at William's Den
for facilitating this camera's location. This camera is capitally funded by West Wolds Slow the Flow
and Hull University.
The Energy and Environment Institute
was established at the University of Hull in late 2016, with the vision to be an internationally leading centre for research that focuses on global sustainability challenges. It brings together leading interdisciplinary academics to tackle global issues surrounding climate change and its consequences on livelihoods. The Institute has three primary goals: to research and discover; to innovate and deliver impact; and to act as a regional anchor and beacon for world leading research and knowledge exchange. Within our “Global change, risk and resilience” theme, Institute staff are deploying a number of sensor arrays that will enable near real-time high frequency monitoring of water quantity and quality in a range of settings, from the urban environment around the University campus (https://www.hull.ac.uk/work-with-us/research/institutes/energy-and-environment-institute/our-work/sudslab-uk
) and the towns of Doncaster, Immingham and Grimsby, to rural environments such as the River Hull catchment and the West Wolds catchment. The monitoring programmes will enable research and teaching in “living laboratories”, and are a pilot for wider initiatives and knowledge exchange with external collaborators. The Farson Digital cameras in North Cave will be used for real-time flood and drought monitoring, allowing us to visually capture in-channel flood and drought dynamics, complementing the existing Environment Agency gauging network.” The civil parish of North Cave comprises the village of North Cave and the hamlet of Everthorpe. According to the 2011 UK census, the population of North Cave parish was recorded as 1,667, representing a decrease from the figure of 1,943 reported in the 2001 UK census. North Cave is located within the Haltemprice and Howden Parliamentary constituency, an area predominantly characterized by middle-class suburbs, towns, and villages. The region is known for its affluence and boasts one of the highest percentages of owner-occupiers in the country.Historical records such as Baines' History, Directory, and Gazetteer of the County of York mention that William the Conqueror bestowed the lordship of both North and South Cave upon someone called Jordayne, who subsequently adopted the surname 'Cave'. However, this anecdote lacks substantiating evidence in the Domesday Book, which does not list any landholder by the name of 'Jordayne'. The book identifies several lords and tenants-in-chief for both North and South Cave, with Robert Malet appearing as the primary landholder in 1086. It is worth noting that William I passed away in 1087, leaving William II as his successor, which suggests the possibility of land transfers post-1086. However, further evidence is required to lend credibility to this family's origin story.In 1823, North Cave existed as a civil parish within the Wapentake of Harthill and the Liberty of St Peter's. The Metham family, who resided in Metham, had a house in North Cave that had been demolished. At the time, there were a Methodist chapel and a Quaker chapel in the area. The population numbered 783, and the occupation profiles included seven farmers, two butchers, two corn millers, four shoemakers, five shopkeepers, two tailors, two wheelwrights, a blacksmith, two butchers, a paper maker, a bricklayer, two surveyors (one for highways and the other for taxes), a schoolmaster, a gardener who also served as the parish clerk, and the landlords of The White Horse and Black Swan public houses. Inhabitants consisted of three yeomen, a surgeon, a vicar, a gentleman, and two gentlewomen. A carrier service operated between the village and Hull twice a week, while a coach from Hull to London passed through the village twice a day.The Metham family owned the old North Cave Manor house and subsequently constructed Hotham Hall as their new residence on the same estate. Sir George Montgomery Metham, the owner from 1763 to 1773, oversaw the landscaping of the grounds surrounding the North Cave manor house. In 1773, the Hotham estate was sold to Robert Burton, who incorporated the manor house grounds into those of Hotham Hall. The Metham family retained ownership of North Cave Manor, which was later passed down through inheritance to the Carver family, who continue to own the site to this day. Part of the property is currently utilized as the Williams Den adventure playground.Notably, the Quaker preacher John Richardson was born in North Cave in 1667.