Many thanks to Mr & Mrs Oughtred for facilitating this camera's location. This camera is capitally funded by Hull University.
The Energy and Environment Institute was established at the University of Hull in late 2016, with the vision to be an internationally leading centre for research that focuses on global sustainability challenges. It brings together leading interdisciplinary academics to tackle global issues surrounding climate change and its consequences on livelihoods. The Institute has three primary goals: to research and discover; to innovate and deliver impact; and to act as a regional anchor and beacon for world leading research and knowledge exchange. Within our “Global change, risk and resilience” theme, Institute staff are deploying a number of sensor arrays that will enable near real-time high frequency monitoring of water quantity and quality in a range of settings, from the urban environment around the University campus (https://www.hull.ac.uk/work-with-us/research/institutes/energy-and-environment-institute/our-work/sudslab-uk) and the towns of Doncaster, Immingham and Grimsby, to rural environments such as the River Hull catchment and the West Wolds catchment. The monitoring programmes will enable research and teaching in “living laboratories”, and are a pilot for wider initiatives and knowledge exchange with external collaborators. The Farson Digital camera at North Cave will be used for real-time flood and drought monitoring, allowing us to visually capture in-channel flood and drought dynamics, complementing the existing Environment Agency gauging network.”
According to the historical account provided in Baines' History, Directory, and Gazetteer of the County of York, it was mentioned that William the Conqueror granted the lordship of both North and South Cave to Jordayne, who subsequently adopted the surname 'Cave'. However, this anecdote lacks evidence as it is not supported by the information presented in the Doomsday Book, which does not list any landholder by the name of "Jordayne." The Doomsday Book identifies several lords and tenants-in-chief for both North and South Cave, with Robert Malet appearing as the primary landholder in 1086, alongside King William himself. It is worth noting that William I passed away in 1087, leaving William II as his successor, which suggests the possibility of land transfers occurring after 1086. However, further evidence is needed to substantiate this family origin story.During the year 1823, North Cave functioned as a civil parish within the Harthill Wapentake and the Liberty of St Peter's. The Metham family, hailing from Metham, possessed a house in North Cave that had been demolished. At that time, the village housed a Methodist chapel and a Quaker chapel. The population stood at 783 residents, engaged in various occupations such as farming, butchery, corn milling, shoemaking, shopkeeping, tailoring, wheelwrighting, blacksmithing, paper making, bricklaying, surveying, teaching, gardening (also serving as the parish clerk), and managing public houses, namely The White Horse and Black Swan. Noteworthy inhabitants included three yeomen, a surgeon, a vicar, a gentleman, and two gentlewomen. A carrier service operated twice a week, connecting the village with Hull, while a coach traveling between Hull and London passed through the village twice a day.The Metham family held the old North Cave Manor house and later constructed Hotham Hall as their new residence on the same estate. Sir George Montgomery Metham, the owner from 1763 to 1773, orchestrated the landscaping of the grounds surrounding the North Cave manor house. In 1773, the Hotham estate was sold to Robert Burton, who incorporated the manor house grounds into those of Hotham Hall. The Metham family retained ownership of North Cave Manor, which eventually passed down through inheritance to the Carver family, who continue to own the site to this day. Part of the estate now operates as the Williams Den adventure playground.Notably, the Quaker preacher John Richardson, born in 1667, hailed from North Cave.