Many thanks to The Canal and River Trust
for facilitating this camera's location and capitally funding its installation. Holt Fleet is a village in the Malvern Hills District in the county of Worcestershire. The church is dedicated to St. Martin, and dates from about the 12th century. Holt Bridge, over the River Severn, was designed by Thomas Telford, and opened in 1830. Holt saw archaeological digs during the 1970s, in advance of gravel extraction. The oldest artifacts recovered were late Neolithic flints and pottery, possibly dating to about 2000 BC. Sherds of burial pottery from the Beaker period (c. 2000-1900 BC) were also found. The bulk of the archaeological evidence related to the early British Bronze Age (c. 1700-1450 BC) in the form of traces of low barrows and enclosures with associated cremations. No dwellings were identified. In 1844 a bronze axe was found during dredging operations in the River Severn below the site of Holt Lock. British Iron Age (1500 BC - 40 AD) finds have been scarce, although crop marks indicated farming activity and a rectangular enclosure was partly uncovered. A few pottery sherds from that period have been recovered at other times, along with an iron pin also from the area of Holt Lock.